In 2017, Rachel Weiss watched a TV programme about the menopause and was inspired to hold a Menopause Café. This has now turned into an international movement of pop-up events where women and the men in their lives meet to drink tea, eat cake and talk menopause. The Menopause Café is modelled on the Death Café movement, founded by Jon Underwood.
In this episode, Rachel and Andrew talk about women’s experiences of menopause and the impact on their lives and relationships. The menopause has long been a taboo subject, and raises profound issues of shame and silence around the female body. Women have suffered due to the lack of knowledge or public conversation about the menopause, and so have their partners.
The Menopause Cafe is playing a crucial role in an increasingly more open discourse on the menopause, helping women to live through this stage of their lives with understanding rather than fear and loneliness.
- Join our Supporters Club to access exclusive behind-the-scenes content, fan requests and the chance to ask Andrew your own questions. Membership starts at just £4.50.
- Find out more about the Menopause Café
- Rachel has written about the Menopause Café in “M-Boldened: Menopause Conversations We All Need to Have”
- The world’s only Menopause Festival takes place on April 30th and May 1st 2021 #FlushFest2021 in Perth, Scotland, and online.
- The Menopause Café was inspired by the Death Café - learn more here:
- Learn about Rachel’s work with coaching and counselling clients at Rowan Consultancy www.rowan-consultancy.co.uk or find out about enrolling on the COSCA Certificate in Counselling Skills, a 120-hour course online or face-to-face, starting August 2021.
- Find out more about dealing with midlife and the relationship issues it can cause in Andrew’s book It’s Not a Midlife Crisis, It’s an Opportunity
- Read Andrew’s advice on some of the common issues faced inside long-term marriages in his article on avoiding the “silver divorce”:
- Follow Rachel on:
Andrew offers regular advice on love, marriage and finding meaning in your life via his social channels. Follow him on:
- Twitter https://twitter.com/andrewgmarshall
- Facebook https://www.facebook.com/AndrewGMarshallTherapy
- YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF5gT7ru5sblpFaU2-iWTTw